Questions to consider as a counselor

            This week’s lesson was particularly interesting when talking about how to counsel individuals who are suffering, as I am still dealing with the recent loss of my mother.  I found the questions on the Multi-Tasking and Your Theoretical Map slide in the Multi-tasking in Christian Counseling (n.d.) presentation very helpful.  As a counselor it is important to ask myself the following questions:

1.      What is my personal worldview?
2.      What are my goals for counseling?  Clinical or transformational?
3.      What is my theory of healing and how much of a role does God play in healing?
4.      What is my role in alleviating the client’s pain and suffering?
5.      What is my theory of personhood and personal responsibility? 

My worldview is Christianity and I am a believer in Jesus Christ.  My goals in the counseling session are first to do no harm to the client, and I believe the clinical tools of psychology that I am learning can be integrated with my worldview to bring about a transformation and healing to the client.  I have to remind myself that I am just a vessel, and I am not the healer.  God is the healer in any relationship and I must be willing to be used by him to bring about this change in others.  I identify with both the internal and external attribution theories and I realize that while each person may be influenced by their environment, they are ultimately responsible for their actions in the absence of serious mental illnesses.

When helping a client who is not satisfied with how their counseling sessions are progressing, I have to remind myself that I am a tool.  The client must also recognize this and I would remind them that they must take action in their own lives if they want to see a change in their lives.  As a counselor, I can provide a safe environment and listen openly and provide feedback, but ultimately it is the responsibility of the client to bring about change in their lives.  A friend of mine describes counselors as being similar to the pizza delivery person.  A person orders a pizza and the doorbell rings.  They open the door and bring the pizza into their house and set it on the table.  The delivery person has done his job, he delivered the pizza.  It is now up to the person who ordered the pizza to eat it while it’s hot or let it go to waste on the table.

If you or someone you know are suffering from addiction and you are ready to seek help, contact Coastal Wellness Counseling now for a free consultation.

Reference


Liberty University (n.d.). Multi-tasking in Christian Counseling [Presentation]. Retrieved from https://learn.liberty.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-12135674-dt-content-rid-96658241_1/courses/COUN506_D58_201620/Master/COUN506_LUO_8WK_DEV_ImportedContent_20141218015707/iSpring%20Presentations/Module%2004/Mod%2004%20-%20Multi-tasking%20in%20Christian%20Counseling%20%28LMS%29/res/index.html

Comments

Popular Posts