Christians, Tobacco, and Alcohol

            I did a Google search for the topic of this week’s discussion board topic and I found about 383,000 results returned.  It’s obvious this is a highly debated topic among Christians and others who Christians come in contact with in our daily lives.  I belong to a fellowship of men and we meet several times a week to discuss how we can draw closer to God in our daily lives and how we can help others do the same.  Tonight, one gentleman began to share that when he begins to have impure thoughts, he asks himself a question, “Will this draw me closer to God, or will it lead me away from Him?”  I can apply this same line of thinking to this week’s post.
            Nicotine is a highly addictive liquid alkaloid found in all tobacco products.   It leads to several health problems, including chronic respiratory diseases and cancers.  It is socially acceptable among certain individuals, particularly younger people, and it leads to long term addictions, especially when the habit starts early in life (Hanson, Venturelli, & Fleckenstein, 2015).  Alcohol is a Central Nervous System (CNS) Depressant, made from fermented fruits and other substances.  Distilled beverages such as whiskey and vodka contain a higher volume of alcohol than fermented beverages, such as wine.  Alcohol causes a loss of inhibition and coordination, impaired motor skills, slurred speech, and memory impairment.  It is responsible for thousands of deaths each year and the financial costs due to treatment of addictions, lost wages, and the effects on family are astronomical (Hanson, Venturelli, & Fleckenstein, 2015). 
            Will using alcohol and tobacco bring me closer to God?  I don’t believe it does; but I also don’t believe it is my position to tell others whether or not it is a sin.  Jesus tells me, “Judge not, so that you won’t be judged” (Matthew 7:1).  There’s no direct references to smoking in the Bible, but Paul tells us, “your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God?” (1 Corinthians 6:19).  Do I want the Holy Spirit hacking and coughing because of the smoke I take in to my body, and will it bring me closer to God or lead me away?  Drinking is specifically addressed in the Bible, but the warnings concern drunkenness and not social drinking.  Several scriptures issue warnings regarding drunkenness and the sins that drunkenness can cause (Ephesians 5:18, Proverbs 23:29-35).  I have been delivered from the desire to drink alcohol because of my own addiction.  I also don’t have to contribute to it by engaging in smoking or drinking, or encouraging others to do so: “Therefore, let us no longer criticize one another. Instead decide never to put a stumbling block or pitfall in your brother’s way” (Romans 14:13).

Break free of your addictions!  If you or someone you know are ready to seek help, contact Coastal Wellness Counseling now for a free consultation.  Addiction is progressive - so is recovery!!

Reference
Hanson, G. R., Venturelli, P. J., & Fleckenstein, A. E. (2015). Drugs and society (12th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.

(WC = 465)

Comments

Popular Posts